Vegan Buffalo “Wings” made from cauliflower. I’m serious.
I must admit these are for my husband Ken (and Erinn’s beau, Michael, too). If it wasn’t for Ken, I never would have ventured into experimenting with veggies to make what was once, his ‘tried and true favourite’: Chicken Wings. He owned a very successful pub for 16 years in Toronto (that is actually how we met in 1998) and his diet, at that time, consisted of deep fried Buffalo wings, burgers, fish and chips, steaks, Guinness and other “pubbish” things to of course, clog his arteries.
Yes, things are much different now, after going to a plant-based diet (vegan) 7 years ago, but he (and Mike too) still have cravings for that wing hot sauce flavour and the Ranch Dressing you get with your typical wings and celery and carrot sticks.
I spent the better part of the day experimenting with hot sauces and came up with a very delicious Sriracha Sauce and a complimentary Ranch Dressing that I think you’ll all love.
So here’s the concept: To create a savoury, gluten-free, pancake-type batter that you use to dip in a hearty vegetable and then bake it crisp (healthier than frying too) …..and then toss the breaded vegetable into the sauce, as the addictiveness of this dish is, “all in the sauce”. Hopefully, the flavours are reminiscent of days gone by. Going Vegan was the BEST thing I ever did in my life on so many levels….including making great new recipes!
Please let me know what you think by leaving a comment below.
Breaded Cauliflower Wings in Buffalo Sriracha Sauce (A.K.A. Vegan Buffalo Wings)
1 large head of cauliflower florets – make the florets about 1″ in diameter or bite-size.
Cauliflower Floret Batter:
⅔ cup GF all-purpose flour (you can use Garbanzo Bean Flour too)
½ cup oat flour
2 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp dried basil
⅛ tsp sea salt
⅛ tsp smoked paprika (this is an awesome spice and different from regular paprika)
⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp agave syrup
3/4 cup spring water
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F and prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the batter ingredients until it is just like a thinner pancake batter consistency. Add more almond milk or water to get it just right. You don’t want it too thick. Toss and coat the cauliflower florets and place them onto parchment covered baking sheet. Bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes flipping halfway to ensure even browning.
3. Measure together the “Sriracha Sauce” ingredients (See recipe below) and place in blender and blend on high until fully incorporated. Place into small to medium size saucepan and stir on medium heat until bubbling. Remove and wait for cauliflower to be removed from oven.
4. Once the cauliflower florets are golden brown and crispy, remove them from the baking sheet and toss the cauliflower with the sauce in the pot (easier to use tongs). Try not to use it all (then you will have dipping sauce). Place the coated cauliflower back onto the baking sheet and bake for an additional 5 – 7 minutes until they get crispy (this is optional but I like this final result best)
5. Plate them and put the leftover Sriracha Sauce in a small dipping bowl – next to the Ranch Dressing and carrot and celery sticks. Click here for a healthier, Oil-Free, Raw Ranch Dressing
½ cup srircaha sauce
1 tsp paprika
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 Tbsp finely chopped onions
2 tsp sucanat (evaporated cane juice)
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup coconut oil (or ½ cup coconut oil in total and omit olive oil)
½ tsp worchestershire sauce
⅛ tsp cayenne
1 tsp rice vinegar
Blend all in blender until fully emulsified and smooth.
Put in pot on medium heat and stir continually with whisk until bubbling. Remove from heat and use right away.
Toss the baked Breaded Cauliflower Wings in this sauce, right in the pot, to coat well and then place back on baking sheet and re-bake for 5-7 minutes more until crispy (this is optional but I like this final result best).
This sauce can be stored for up to 2 weeks.
Ranch Dressing – click here for an Oil-Free Raw Ranch Version
¾ cup vegan mayonnaise (Vegenaise)
⅓ cup vegan sour cream (I like the Tofutti brand)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tsp dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
⅛ tsp sea salt
1 tsp FRESH parsley
BLEND all ingredients well in blender. Pour dressing into small mixing bowl. Pour into small dipping bowl. Serve with Vegan Buffalo Wings and Sriracha HOT Sauce, and celery and carrot sticks and for variety, try my other Ranch Dressing recipe too.
Don’t forget! Comments below! I want to know what you think.