Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This is an all-time favorite with our customers at the cafe. We actually call it “The OMG”. It’s comfort food to the max that satisfies the little kid in you. We tried to take it off the menu once and there was a massive customer revolt. Every step in this method is important so don’t skip a beat.
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
4 slices GF bread
4 tablespoons Chipotle Mayo (page XXX)
1/2 cup non-dairy shredded cheddar-style cheese
4 tablespoons non-dairy shredded mozzarella-style cheese
4 tablespoons vegan butter
- Butter one side of each of the 4 slices of bread. Heat a skillet on medium, Place the 4 slices of bread in the skillet, butter side UP, for a minute and then flip them over.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of Chipotle Mayo on two slices of bread. Top each slice with ¼ cup of cheddar shreds and 2 tablespoons of mozza shreds.
- Place the other bread slices on the top of the cheese, buttered side UP and hot side IN. This way the cheese gets warm and melted quickly.
- Cover the skillet for 2 minutes. Lift the cover and check to see if the bread has browned on the underside. When it’s nicely browned flip it over and cook, covered, for another 3 minutes.
- Serve with your preferred condiments and a nice crunchy pickle, if you have one.
Makes 2 servings
Tomato Protein Soup
This is so creamy, delicious and satisfying, you won’t even care that it’s also packed with nutrients and fiber. Tomatoes are an important source of lycopene, which some studies have shown to reduce the risk of cancers and age-related diseases. Factor in the chickpeas’ high protein and fiber content and you’ve got a super-soup!
Active time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30-35 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, diced
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili flakes
1 ½ teaspoons turmeric
2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas
2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups vegetable broth or water
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
Fresh cilantro for garnish
GF bread croutons for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot. Add the onions and saute for 3 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and saute for another couple of minutes until there’s a wonderful aroma but the garlic isn’t browning.
- Add the cumin, chili flakes, and turmeric and stir for a minute. Add the chickpeas and saute until they begin to turn golden brown and are covered with the spices.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and veggie broth or water. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the tomatoes are cooked and fragrant.
- Transfer the mixture in batches to a blender. Don’t overfill the blender or you risk scalding yourself and making a mess of your kitchen counter! Add the nutritional yeast to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with a sprig of cilantro and some gluten-free croutons. Soup may be refrigerated for up to 5 days.
Makes 6-8 servings