This recipe proves that you can do anything you set your mind to. When our publisher challenged us to create a quiche recipe without animal products, we took up the challenge with gusto. We promise you won’t miss the eggs! For convenience, we would never frown on anyone for using a store-bought piecrust. Try to find a vegan version, please!
Active time: 30 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
1 (14 ounce) package firm tofu
2 tablespoons soy or coconut milk creamer
½ cup Cashew Cream (page xxx)
4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons chick pea flour
1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried basil
¾ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon red chili flakes (or more if you like spicy heat)
2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup cremini or white mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
1½ cups fresh spinach
2 teaspoons vegan “bacon” bits (optional)
½ cup non-dairy shredded cheddar- or mozzarella-style cheese
1 9-inch Pie Crust
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Into a food processor, add the tofu, soy creamer, cashew cream, nutritional yeast, chick pea flour, arrowroot starch, parsley, basil, turmeric, sea salt, pepper and chili flakes. Process until smooth and pour into large mixing bowl. If it seems too thick add a tablespoon or two of water.
- Add the olive oil to a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the onions until translucent and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, mushrooms, and sun dried tomatoes and sauté for another few minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add the onion mixture to the tofu mixture and stir well. Add the spinach, ”bacon” bits, if using, and non-dairy shredded cheese. Continue to stir until blended.
- Pour quiche mixture into uncooked pie shell and smooth it out with a spatula.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle of the quiche comes out clean. The crust edges should be golden brown. Let sit for 10 minutes then cut and serve.
Makes one 9-inch quiche