I love eating a plant-based diet! I really do. Foods taste better. I feel better. The planet sings better and the animals are happy too!
There’s so much freedom to be had when eating a plant-based diet and when your meal doesn’t have to be centred on an animal product, the world is yours for the taking. Taste buds change and flavours, textures, spices all encompass your mouth in a way never before felt. (Just think too: No chance of contamination from poultry products and having to worry about your disinfecting your chopping block, soaping your hands, and utensils, no sterilizing of the sink from a turkey sitting in it – is a thing of the past. There’s no chance of ‘undercooking’ or overcooking a turkey and also, NO saturated fats come from this main entrée. It’s all a win win)
So here it is: My EASY awesome recipe turns out perfect every time. Healthy and delicious…
Vegan Holiday Nut Loaf
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 ¼ cup chopped fresh organic mushrooms (any kind you like)
- ¼ cup finely chopped green pepper (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp Earth Balance
- 3 cups organic carrots, grated
- 1 ½ cup organic celery, chopped
- 3/4 cup flax meal (mixed with 1¼ cup water and let sit)
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp chopped organic walnuts
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 cups soft Gluten Free bread crumbs
- In an iron skillet, heat well on medium heat and sprinkle a slight amount of salt in the skillet. Then add 2 tsp olive oil to coat the pan. This will help to make it a ‘non-stick’ coating.
- Add onions and garlic to heated skillet and sauté until soft.
- Add Earth Balance, mushrooms and green peppers and cook until tender.
- In bowl, combine the mushroom mixture, carrots, celery, flax meal mixture, walnuts, sunflower seeds, sea salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Mix well.
- Add Gluten Free breadcrumbs and combine well.
- Coat a 9″ x 5″ x 3″ pan with a non-stick spray, then line it with wax paper. This will ensure it won’t stick. Transfer the veggie mixture to the prepared pan. Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until your ‘meat’ thermometer reads 160F. Let stand for 10 minutes before jumping in a slicing it.
This is easily sliced and served with Vegan Gravy!