We developed this muffin at Kindfood as a lunch special for kids. The inspiration came from a T-shirt slogan Kelly saw and loved in California. Moms would buy these for their kids’ lunches and snacks, knowing they would get something fun, nutritious and yummy. And they’re not just for kids, this is a perfect lunch muffin to take along when you’re brown-bagging it. We recommend you make the Oat Streusel topping, it’s perfect!
Active time: 10 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
4 tablespoons flax meal
2/3 cup rice milk
2 cups GF all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oat flour
3/4 cup coconut sugar or Sucanat
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup sunflower seed oil, canola oil or olive oil
¼ cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons molasses
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups pureed butternut squash
1 cup defrosted, frozen peas or fresh peas
¼ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
2 heaping scoops vanilla protein powder (optional)
For the oat streusel topping
¼ cup coconut sugar
2 tablespoons oat flour
3 tablespoons GF rolled oats
2 tablespoons vegan butter
- Preheat to 350°F. Spray coconut oil or other non-stick spray into muffin tins or use paper liners.
- In a small bowl combine the flax meal with the rice milk and set aside to thicken.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the all-purpose and oat flours, coconut sugar or Sucanat, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, salt and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, mix the sunflower seed oil, maple syrup, molasses and vanilla. Add the rice milk/flax meal mixture.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture. Blend with a hand mixer until fully combined.
- Fold in the butternut squash puree and stir gently to combine. Gently fold in the peas. Add the walnuts and protein powder, if using.
- Use an ice cream scoop to fill 12 cups in the prepared muffin tin.
- Make the streusel topping: Mix the coconut sugar, oat flour, oats and vegan butter with a fork or your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle on top of muffins.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing muffins from tin.
Makes 12 muffins