This one takes a bit of time, but it’s worth it! Please note that some advance planning is needed as the cooked vegetables are best if they rest in the fridge overnight to drain. This is a great make-ahead dish when you’re feeding a crowd – the portions are generous!
Active time: 90 minutes
Total time: 10 hours, including overnight resting of veggies
For the cheese sauce
3 cups raw cashews
2/3 cup vegetable stock
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/3 cups nutritional yeast
4 teaspoons sea salt
4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
6 cloves garlic
4 cups basil leaves
For the lasagna
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 ½ yellow onions, finely chopped
2 zucchini, chopped
1 ½ pounds crimini mushrooms, chopped
2 red peppers, chopped
1 cup spinach leaves, chopped
1 package (454 g) GF brown rice lasagna noodles
3 cups marinara sauce
1 cup non-dairy shredded mozzarella-style cheese
¼ cup basil leaves, sliced into ribbons
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease or spray a 9-by-13-inch ovenproof dish or pan. Coat a length of aluminum foil with non-stick spray.
- Make the cheese sauce: In a small bowl cover the cashews with water and refrigerate for 1 hour. Drain soaking water from cashews and rinse well.
- In a heavy-duty blender on high speed, blend the veggie stock, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, mustard, garlic, basil and cashews for 2-4 minutes or until smooth. Scrape down the sides after a minute or so to make sure the mixture is evenly combined. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Saute the garlic and onion for 5 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the zucchini, mushrooms and peppers. Sauté for 10 minutes or until the vegetables release their liquid. Add the spinach and sauté for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Put the veggies in a stainless steel bowl and refrigerate overnight. This is a very important step: the vegetables will release a tremendous amount of liquid, which you can drain so it doesn’t end up in your lasagna.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to the package directions. Drain.
- Spread 1 cup of marinara sauce over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Add a layer of noodles, 1 cup of lemon basil “cheese” sauce, then half of the vegetables. Repeat the layers of marinara sauce, noodles and veggies, ending with a top layer of noodles and marinara sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella shreds overtop.
- Cover the baking dish with the sprayed aluminum foil. Slice a few vents in the foil to allow steam to escape during cooking. Bake for 45 minutes or until bubbling.
- Remove the foil and put the lasagna under the broiler for 5-7 minutes to brown. Watch it closely so the edges don’t burn. Allow the lasagna to cool and set for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve garnished with fresh basil and a drizzle of any remaining cheese sauce.
Makes 8 servings