These are so deliciously rich and loaded with chocolate flavor. We added one of our favorite snacks, gluten-free pretzels for fun; the salt and crunch really enhance the crazy-good factor of this cookie. You could substitute quinoa puffs, chopped almonds or any other crunchy, lightly salted treat you like.
Active time: 20-25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
2 tablespoons flax meal
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1 cup GF all-purpose flour
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
2 cups chocolate chips
6 tablespoons vegan butter
1 cup Sucanat
2/3 cup organic cane sugar
2 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup chocolate chips
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup crushed, GF pretzels
½ cup chopped almonds
1 cup puffed quinoa
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flax meal and chia seeds with ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons of water and set aside to thicken.
- Reconstitute the espresso with 2 tablespoons of boiling water.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and xanthan gum.
- In a double-boiler set over low heat, melt the chocolate chips with the vegan butter.
- Add the Sucanat, sugar, flax and chia mixture, espresso and vanilla and mix well with a wooden spoon. Stir in the flour mixture.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, pumpkin seeds, crushed gluten-free pretzels and puffed quinoa.
- Form cookie dough into 1-inch balls and place them 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheet. Press down lightly with the palm of your hand. They spread a lot so be sure to give them lots of room!
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. If you overbake them, they will be crisp. If you underbake them, they will be chewy.
Makes 12 cookies
Note: These cookies store well in the freezer.